February 03, 2021

emily | imbolc

Hi! If you know us personally (or have been at a 3 pc rutabega show), you likely know that we are all #blessed to spin on this planet with Emily. Em is not a very public person, but she gave me the ok to yap about her new album so here I go before she changes her mind 😮

Having amassed a bundle of songs she recorded for Weekly Beats, Emily has been stepping back to see if any of them gravitate towards each other (much like Kenichi Kanazawa manipulating sand on a steel tabletop, see Fig.1a). Turns out, they do!

Here is imbolc, released 2/1/21: https://emily.bandcamp.com/album/imbolc  

I could blather on and on, but I will just say - Emily has a true gift of turning what she is experiencing or processing into sound. I know I'm biased, but I am consistently amazed at the recordings/feelings she captures (using an outdated version of garageb*nd and the built-in laptop mic no less). Mostly I am grateful to encounter this alchemy.
 
This album is a journey, but it is worth taking - especially in headphones. If you want a 2 minute entry point, may I recommend "lost in the fog." 

Ok, climbing off my soapbox. See you on the other side. XO



No comments: