September 04, 2020

Fountains of Joshua Wayne

Fountains of Joshua Wayne is a 4 song solo EP I recorded in honor of Adam Schlesinger (Fountains of Wayne, Ivy, That Thing You Do, etc) who passed away on April 1, 2020 from complications related to COVID-19. It consists of 3 Fountains of Wayne covers as well as an original song, Poughkeepsie, that was inspired by Adam's music and life (based on my admittedly limited knowledge gleaned from interviews and podcasts).   

I'm not sure exactly why Adam's death hit me so hard, but I think at the time it made the pandemic seem that much more real and sinister to know it could take out a relatively young songwriter who was so full of life. 

I heard the first Fountains of Wayne album at the right time and instantly connected to the almost deliriously catchy melodies and lyrics that didn't take themselves too seriously. Thankfully none of these songs were as goofy as their later hit single which shall not be named. 

I have fond memories of driving around belting out Leave the Biker and Survival Car with my kiddos when they were younger. When I messaged them that I was working on this tribute, Sage responded with "Fountains of Joshua Wayne" and it was too perfect not to use. 
 
Anyway, I hope you enjoy these recordings. I put a lot into them and the process really helped me through these strange months of quarantine. I'll be donating a percentage of proceeds to the Sweet Relief Covid-19 Fund which provides assistance to musicians and music workers affected by the Coronavirus. 

Thank you for listening and for your time. If you would like to keep up with my solo adventures, please click FOLLOW on my Bandcamp page. And if you would like to purchase the EP, today is a great day to do it as it is Bandcamp Friday and this gracious company is waiving all their (perfectly reasonable) fees. 

 Love and hugs, 
 Joshua Wayne Hensley

No comments: